electronica 2018 features more halls and special highlights for exhibitors and visitors
Every two years, electronica brings the entire world of electronics including components, systems and applications together in Munich - whether start-ups, small and medium-sized enterprises or international corporations. This year, from November 13th do 16th, the event takes up 17 halls at the Messe Muenchen exhibition grounds for the first time. Two new halls, C5 and C6, were completed during the spring of 2018, while halls C2 and C3 are used for the first time. In the brand-new hall C6, electronica Experience makes its first appearance ever with live demos, the Discovery Stage, and IMPACT–Design for a Cause. Within all of the halls are displayed the latest components, systems, applications and solutions that the industry has to offer, all under the new motto “Connecting Everything - smart, safe & secure”. The event returns with more career options as well - electronica Careers offers the perfect platform for anyone wishing to enter a new profession, make a switch, or take the next step.
“When we looked at the hall plan from 2016, we quickly realized that there had only been two entrances - West and East. As a result, the flow of visitors moved from west to east or vice versa. This had a considerable influence on the positioning of the segments, which were arranged according to the direction visitors were walking in. By integrating halls C2 and C3, as well as the newly built halls C5 and C6, we now also have the North, North West and North East entrances, which allows access to the exhibition grounds from all sides. At the same time, a north-south arrangement of the segments in the future will ensure an even spread of visitors across the entire grounds. In this new arrangement of segments, semiconductors, the core of electronica, will move to the center”, explained Angela Marten, Exhibition Director for the trade fair.
A variety of thematic lectures and discussions
The new iteration of electronica includes a high concentration of expertise in 16 subject-specific forums as well as four conferences. First-rate expert lectures, exciting panel discussions and roundtable discussions on the industry’s latest market and technology topics await the visitors at of the exhibition grounds. The forum program includes the familiar:
- Automotive forum on the new technologies in automotive electronics (Hall B4);
- Cyber Security forum on both hardware and software solutions that can be applied to ensure maximum protection (Hall C3);
- Discovery Stage - electronica Experience with brief lectures on new technologies and current buzzwords, as well as the daily HR Evening Brief (Hall C6);
- e-ffwd Forum powered by Elektor, including lectures and workshops on the cooperation between start-ups and established companies (Hall C5);
- Embedded Forum which presents technical papers about technologies, trends and product innovations that cover the entire range of embedded technologies (Hall B5);
- Exhibitor Forum offering a great opportunity to get a brief overview of the exhibitors’ innovations, products and services (Hall A2);
- Industrial IIoT Forum, which discusses the hardware and software issues surrounding the IIoT and how they can be applied to specific applications (Hall C3);
- Medical Electronics Forum concerning wearables, which are causing fundamental change to our surroundings and our infrastructures (Hall C3);
- PCB & Components Marketplace which allows leading companies in the PCB, components and EMS industry to present their latest products and solutions (Hall A1);
- Printed Electronics Forum powered by LOPEC, offering insight into the complete value chain, from research and development to the concrete application of printed electronics (Hall A1);
New additions to the programme are the following:
- Electrical Connectors’ Forum which addresses the myriad of topics faced while using connectors in industrial electronics, automation technology, telecoms, etc. (Hall C2);
- LED Trends Forum presenting important current developments, e.g. in the LED Horticultural Lighting and Increased Color Rendering (Hall C2);
- Market Insights Forum for the numbers and important soft facts for being successful in foreign markets (Hall C6);
- Obsolescence Forum with panel discussion and lectures on the various aspects of successfully dealing with hardware and software components that have either been discontinued or are no longer available (Hall C2);
- Power Electronics Forum on wide band gap semiconductors, renewable energies, smart grid and energy storage (Hall A6).
A new conference is also being organized during the forums. In addition to the already established conferences - the electronica Automotive Conference (eAC), the electronica Embedded Platforms Conference (eEPC) and the Wireless Congress, experts are now also presenting the latest developments in electrical engineering at the electronica Medical Electronics Conference (eMEC). The event was created to support and promote the new developments in materials, sensors and battery solutions, which enable the realization of novel body prostheses. The electronica Medical Electronics Conference is aimed at all those involved in the digital transformation process in the healthcare sector. The goal is to bring together practitioners from everyday medical treatment with specialists from the electronics industry. Requirements and solutions of digitalization in the healthcare system will be discussed in direct exchanges.
Co-location with SEMICON Europa for the first time
In addition to its enriched exhibition programme, this year electronica is co-held with SEMICON Europa for the first time. SEMICON Europa is an annual event that alternates between being held with productronica and electronica. With approximately 400 exhibitors from the semiconductor manufacturing sector as well as the printed and organic electronics branches, SEMICON Europa is the leading European microelectronics trade fair and conference for industry and research concerning flexible hybrid electronics, medical technology, smart manufacturing, and power electronics. The specialized event provides valuable information, training activities, as well as guidance for the launch of innovations and products. It occupies an entire exhibition hall within electronica (Hall A4). The visitors of the fair are able to benefit from the two events’ synergy and access even a larger range of information.
The success of electronica’s previous edition
In 2016, electronica was held during 4 days in 13 halls, as opposed to this year’s expansion to halls. The previous iteration was held on a total of 143 000 square meters of exhibition space. It was attended by 2913 exhibitors from 50 countries and 7987 participants at conferences and forums. Overall, a total of 73 451 visitors from 84 countries were present at the fair. There was 51,7 percent share of foreign visitors clearly demonstrate and a high decision-making authority – of about 89% of visitors. Most represented except Germany were China, Italy, the Netherlands, Taiwan, France, Austria, USA, Switzerland, India, the UK, Japan, Czech Republic, Korea, and Belgium.
LATEST issue 4/2018